Life is Art

Cathy - Thornton, Colorado

Life is Art

I’ve often wondered to myself, what would the world be like without art? How empty would it be if we had no Van Gogh, no Mona Lisa, no David, no Aretha Franklin, and no Beatles to color the world? How else would we be able to communicate? How else would we connect people of all ages and all languages?

Art can not be tied down to any one idea, or concept. It reaches across all borders and unites people from all over the world, no matter their age, their religion, their gender, their shape, or their intrinsic values and beliefs. People from all walks of life have gazed at Michelangelo’s “Sistine Chapel” and felt a sense of wonder at the beauty. But art does not have to be a painting, or a sculpture. Art is ultimately an expression of emotion, of the things that we cannot say but can communicate through other means. It has been a constant presence, from the days when cavemen drew on the walls of caves with their sticks, to the modern day where art is created with a mouse and a screen.

Art is one of the most important and necessary parts of our lives. To take away our ability to freely express ourselves, is to take away our soul, the essence of our being. Without art, how would we be able to record the beauty of the world through our own eyes for generations to come? Art remains immortal even after the death of its creator. Every painting, music score, molded clay, sketch, drawing, and sculpture is unique in itself–it can never be created the same way.

I believe that life needs art, and art needs life for both to be fully appreciated. Every child should be given the chance to have fun and let their imagination run wild. Every school or educational building in the world should have an art program, a place where everyone is allowed to freely express themselves, without restriction and fear.