Sleeping In

Monika - Clinton, Maryland

Have any of your ever had a day or two where you just wanted to relax and take it easy? Maybe you had a late night out? Or possibly you had a rough week at work or school. Either way, you may just want to plop onto the couch, put up your feet, and just chill. Well, this belief can make this possible. It is something you could do by yourself, with your mom or dad, or with your best friends. I have had many days where I have wanted to just stay in bed and kill a huge tub of my favorite ice cream, or have my best friends come over and we gossip and watch movies. A day where I lounge around the house and am in my own little world, and nothing would disturb me. This is what I believe in…sleeping in!

Now many of you may be thinking, “oh yeah, I sleep in almost everyday” because many of you may not have early morning classes. But sleeping in an hour or two past the normal time you usually wake up is NOT the type of sleeping in that I am referring to. I am talking about the hardcore, sleeping-in-past-noon-staying-in-your-pajamas-all-day-long-eating-junk-food-watching-your-favorite-episodes-of-your-favorite-T.V.-shows-on-DVD, such as Grey’s Anatomy, sleeping in. It is the perfect remedy to any and all issues. Whether you just experienced a harsh break up with your significant other, got into a huge fight with your parents, or failed a huge exam, sleeping in will always make you feel better.

I will never forget the day that I discovered this method of relaxation. Now I always had one of these days when I was younger, but as I grew up I began to think that it was something one grew out of. I never realized the healing impact that a day like this could bring. It was spring break of my freshmen year in high school, and I had just been informed that my parents were planning on filing for a divorce after 28 years of marriage. I had always been witness to their constant fighting, but I always thought that it was normal martial bickering, and push it to the back of my head. So it was a complete shock to me when this news was delivered. This was a time where comfy blankets, fluffy pillows, and a pint of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream worked wonders. I could sit around all day, without a care in the world, and just exist. No thinking, no pressure, no pain. It’s as if you were in your own little bubble; the ultimate utopia. I could easily lose myself in a world of television, where my own fears and worries were as insignificant as the specks of dust on the screen. I could become anyone I wanted to be, in a matter of seconds. And when this euphoric feeling was lifted after several hours of mindless laziness, I was able to see the brighter side of things. I could see that I was not the cause of this debacle, but the one thing in my parent’s life that kept them together for so long. Being an only child makes things difficult to cope with sometimes, but several therapeutic sessions of sleeping in helped me to deal.

A time of healing, a time of growth, a time of relaxation…this is what I believe in.