Decisions Made

Devin - Livermore, California

Throughout my whole life, it has always been crammed down my throat about how dangerous cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, and sex were. I probably sat through over a hundred different lectures about it at school, over 500 times at home. And the whole time no one was telling me anything new or different, just the same old “Don’t do drugs, stay in school” type of deal. To be quite blunt, I really didn’t care what any of them had to say. In fact, every time some one told me the same old spiel, it just made me want to try them more.

High school came fast, and by that time I was living the typical teenage life. Friends of mine would have a party, I would hear about it and decide to go, basically for booze and whatever I could get my hands on. It was about my junior year in high school that these factors were greatly depreciating my life, and it showed. I wanted to quit everything, create a new identity that reflected myself, not my peers. Again, no one was telling me anything different, just how it has always been. Then I met a friend who would change my life for the better, show me new meanings to life and what it offered, he showed me the way of Straight Edge.

For those not familiar, straight edge is living a life substance free, no addictions to anything that would harm your body in any way. Straight Edge gave me an identity to be proud of; it saved me from falling into the typical status quo and helped me find my way. I live a healthier life now, I’m a vegetarian working my way to becoming strictly vegan. I’m proud to this day to be in a constant positive state, with clarity guiding my path and addiction and peer pressure kicked to the curb. I want to live my heart, and never follow; this is why I will always be Straight Edge.