I believe in the power of music.

Jessica - Muskegon, Michigan

I believe in the power of music. I wake up every morning to my alarm blaring whatever song is on the radio and fall asleep every night to the quiet harmonies of my favorite musicians. Music has a major impact on my life. Whether it is dancing with the one you love or the little tune you hear in your head walking down the road, music is life.

Billy Joel once said, “I think music in itself is healing. It’s an explosive expression of humanity. It’s something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we’re from, everyone loves music.” That is exactly what music does for me. I remember the first year I came to GVSU, I moved here with three girls that I hardly knew from my hometown. My best friends had gone to different colleges, my parents an hour away, and my boyfriend of three years had literally broken up with me two days into my being at college. I was miserable and lost. I hated my classes and no matter how many people I met, I felt completely alone. I would come home every night, watch TV, eat some food and listen to my ipod. For some reason when I listened to sad songs about other peoples’ heartache and loneliness; it made me feel a little less alone. Eventually I picked my feet back up and learned to embrace this new experience in my life. And when I celebrated my independence, it showed in my different choice of music. I believe that music has the power to transform you. It can save you from the darkest depths of your soul and rescue you. Without music in my life I would not be the woman I am today.

With every genre of music you gain an insight into what that group of people or what the person was feeling at the exact moment they recorded it. You can listen to a song a thousand times and it still resonates in your heart. Through music I have been able to overcome many obstacles and come out on top. I have danced my heart out with the people I love, and had the time of my life. Without music, life is like an empty room: cold and meaningless. But throw some music into it and the party begins! I am an avid movie-goer and I thought about how movies would be without music in them. Without the creepy violins, a scary moment wouldn’t even frighten you. You would hardly know it was coming. Or when the two people finally get to kiss and fall in love, without that one heartfelt love song, there would be no magic. Movies wouldn’t be the same, there would be no radio, and life itself would have less meaning.

Music is playing in my head 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Whether I’m at work or on a date, I can hear a song in my head. Without music my life wouldn’t be as colorful or memorable. Life is like a good song, with the right harmonies it can last forever.