The Power of a Friend

Lamia - Grand Rapids, Michigan

I believe in me. I believe that confidence in one’s self is a quality that is crucial in life. And I speak from experience. All throughout my life, I lacked this self-confidence. I was always too worried about what people thought of me. I tried too hard to be what everyone wanted me to be. I had low self-esteem and was way too self-conscious; thinking that everyone was watching and analyzing my every move. This continued all throughout elementary school, middle school, and part of high school. I began having more confidence in myself beginning my senior year of high school, and I owe it to one person. This person made me realize that I am who I am and that I should be proud of that person. That it doesn’t matter what everyone else thinks. That if they can’t appreciate me for who I truly am, then they don’t deserve my friendship. This person helped to make me who I am today.

I met Mike my senior year of high school. I’d always seen him around, but never really noticed him. We started talking the first day of class and I immediately felt so comfortable around him. He’s the type of person you can say anything to and he will be kind and understanding. Mike always made me feel so good about myself. He gave me the confidence I lacked all my life. Throughout my senior year, Mike and I became really close. And the ability to be myself around him started rubbing onto other people as well. I slowly realized that he was right. That if he could be this kind and caring, and like me for who I really was, then others would too. I became more outgoing. I started speaking up more in my classes, volunteering more, not worried about getting the wrong answer. I tried out for solos in my choir class. I started doing things that, although don’t seem too significant to most people, were very significant for me. Little by little, I started leaving my old, shy, quiet self. I had confidence. I had a high self esteem. I stopped trying to impress this person and that, and I was only doing what made me happy; what made me comfortable. And I realized that this was the way I should’ve been all along. I started making new friends. My old friends became even closer to me than they were before. I was a haviing a great senior year and it carried on into college and into my everyday life. Today, I am a new person. I am confident in myself. I have a high self-esteem. I am who I am and I don’t care what people think about me. And I see that even in the real world, not just high school, that’s the way I should be. People respect me for who I am. Because I believe in myself, the world believes in me.