Is It Any Wonder?

Ashley - Livermore, California
Themes: carpe diem

I remember what it was like to be a child like it was just yesterday. All that time has gone by so fast and there are so many things that I wish I had done. I wouldn’t consider any of them to be regrets, but more like what ifs. I have always wondered what my life would have been like if I had actually decided to pursue the hobbies and activities that I enjoyed.

I believe life is too short to only wonder and not do.

As a little girl I was not extremely athletic, but I was very active. I liked to dance around with a ribbon and attempt cartwheels and flips. Even though I loved doing those things I never really considered taking it a step further and trying out gymnastics. With my small frame, I’ve always wondered if I could have made a career out of it.

When I was little my parents would frequently take my brother and me to the park. I always looked forward to it because it meant that I could run around and play soccer. I wasn’t an expert at the sport, but sometimes I wonder where I would be now if I had taken it a little more seriously.

During middle school I really enjoyed basketball. Since I had never participated in sports I decided to give it a shot and try out for the school team. Even though I did not make it, I was proud of myself for at least trying so that I would not have to ask myself “what if?” later on.

Looking back it might seem as if I have some regrets, but I honestly do not regret anything that I did or did not do. Every decision that I made in the past has contributed to the person that I am today. Although I may not know who I am at eighteen years old, I am content with the way my life has turned out. Instead of asking myself “what if?” I now know that it is best to take the risk to find out anyway because I believe that life is too short to only wonder and not do.