blessed are the hearts that can mend

stefany - houston, Texas
Themes: setbacks

Albert Cameron once wrote “Blessed are the hearts that can mend; they shall never be broken” But I wonder, if there’s no breaking then there’s no healing. If there’s no healing then there is no learning. If there’s no learning, then there’s no suffering. And if there’s no suffering then there’s no struggle. But the struggle is part of life, so must all hearts be broken? Not necessarily referring it to love or friendship, it gets better.

As for now, I’ve concluded that hurricane Ike’s furry destroyed many of our homes including mine, eroding our accomplishments into ashes and trash. I sheltered at home for about one week without electricity, dehydrating each night as I sleep uncomfortably in my own sweat. My eyes, along with many more thousands witness how the intense winds and rain ruined most of the city. Now we realize that what used to be “the favorite hangout-spot” or “best restaurant” isn’t so especial anymore. Leaving behind not only destruction, but it also left dead animals. I still remember hearing the unpleasant echoes of the birds as they were painfully dying. Along the way many belonged dogs disappear, while new injured ones were found. Tears drained down my skin when I was watching the news. The devastation and chaos that Ike left behind broke my heart, having the pieces scattered inside of me. Many lives were lost leaving behind inconsolable families that have nothing else left but grief that’s like the ocean; it’s deep, dark and bigger than all of us. And the pain they feel is like a thief in the night; quiet, unfair, and dimished by time faith and love. One thing I can tell you is that everything is going to be better as time goes by. Soon we will have what we used to, and along the way better things will be accomplished. The hurricane took what we loved or what we have built, but it didn’t take the faith and the strength that we behold. Nature is a powerful force that can’t be changed or controlled, but it can be avoided and prevented with the intelligence that we have.

From my experience of not having light, favorite food, or showered for days I’ve learned many things. I changed many ways of recycling and being economic, also comprehended that sometimes good things fall apart so that better things come together. The one thing I can tell you is that when your heart breaks, you got to fight like hell to make sure you’re alive, because you are. And the pain you feel? That’s nothing. The confusion and fear? Well that’s just there to remind you that out there is something worth fighting for. Is just like putting our heart pieces back together and patiently wait as it heals.