Being Independent

Raelynn - Rathdrum, Idaho

Being Independent

At a very young age, my father was killed in an unexpected car crash. He left my mother to raise my brother, age 2 and me, age 4. My mother was only 22 years old, trying to raise 2 kids on her own. She always had two jobs because she had too much pride to go on welfare and would never ask anyone for help. As we were growing up, she always instilled in me that you do not need anyone to make life easier for you.

Around the age of eight, I started watching my brother for my mom because she was gone a lot of the time. In my teenage years, I was cleaning the house and doing the chores. I would make dinner for all of us. At the age of 17, I moved out of my mother’s house, and it was upsetting to her that I left. I don’t think she realizes she did the same thing to her mother.

I believe in being an independent woman.

When I turned 21, I had my first child; that would begin my life as a single mom. I was always working in order to support my daughter and myself because I did not have a husband to help with raising my child or with finances When I turned 23, I met a man who would become my husband. He soon found out that I would not ask for any kind of help. If I needed something done I would just do it because it was the way I was raised.

At the age of 26, I got pregnant, with what we thought was our first child together. After the visit to the doctor we found out that not only were we have one child, but we were having twins Now I didn’t just have one child to raise, but now I was going to have to raise three kids by myself. For my husband, his current job is driving a semi-truck for a living, which makes it very difficult because he is not home all the time to help. I guess I can be counted as a single mother, again. It has been very hard trying to raise these kids on my own and work in order to help support my family. There have been times where I just wanted to give up, but then I have six pairs of eyes looking at me; they are looking up to me to find guidance.

Now we have a 12 yr. old, and a set of almost 7 yr old. twins. Not only that, but they are all girls. We have tried to instill in the same beliefs that my mother instilled in me; that you don’t always need a partner to be there to help you. Also, that you have the capabilities to do things by yourself, and you can do anything that your heart desires to do. I believe in being a independent women.