A Life of Significance

Adam - Harrisonburg, Virginia

You have felt it before, that hole inside your soul that craves for something more and must be filled. We all try to fill this hole with different things, such as sports, video games, friends, and even family. I believe this hole is programmed inside all of us for a very specific reason, to cause us to look for something deeper than life itself, significance.

Does winning a super bowl mean you have accomplished something with your life or what about a Nobel Prize? As great as both of these things are, they are just events, and as they fade, so does the feeling of being fulfilled. Everyone wants to be known for something in life-this is their significance. These things that we try to become known for will fill this gap in our life, until that is, they are over, and we have achieved them. Then we ask ourselves, “Now what?”

I believe in order to fill that hole, that gap that keeps your life from being complete you must learn to look at life from an eternal perspective. To look at your life from an eternal perspective means to look at your life in the way that God would see it. That is right, I am a Christian and have been since I was 10 years old and I believe in my faith. My faith is what allows me to carry on through each and every day.

Faith is something that has taught me how to let go of the worries of this world and truly not care what others think of me. Instead, I have learned to worry about the things that my Heavenly Father worries about: yours and my eternal destinations. Your eternal destination is something that you cannot go back and get a redo when you find out you messed up; it is a decision that must be made while you are here on earth. This decision was and still is my key to a life of significance.

Our lives are like a mist. They are here for a brief moment and then vanish into thin air. What will you do with your mist? Will you make decisions and achieve goals that will allow you to be famous and fulfilled in this world, or will you make decisions and achieve goals that will allow you to be significant in God’s eyes forever.

Our school just won the biggest game of the season. So now what, the national championship? Well, then what? This same question of “Now what?” will persist until you learn to look at life with an eternal perspective.