True Friendship

Kathryn - harrisonburg, Virginia

I believe in the power of true friendship.

My junior year of high school my life wasn’t going as I had planned. My parents were getting a divorce and my life seemed like it was crashing down around me. I was having feelings of depression and worthlessness. Every day I would get up and just go through the motions. When asked if I was okay I would give a sigh and say yes I’m fine, even though I was lying, nothing seemed to be going right. Right around this time I was also having difficulties communicating with my friends and they didn’t really know how to deal with what I was going through; so for some of them that meant leaving me to “get over” it alone.

The pressure to be skinny, have clear skin, and be popular was overwhelming. I would try and tell myself and my friends that I didn’t care what other people thought about me, but I did. All my life I had felt like I was never good enough or I had to live up to my older brother’s popularity or be as smart or as pretty as my younger sister. I never felt like there was a time when I wasn’t under a microscope. I didn’t feel like I fit in anywhere. Not at school, not at home, and not even with some of my friends. I resorted to doing bad things to numb the pain or to gain control on my life, in a way I knew what the pain was coming from, when it would stop, and how to fix it.

Then one of my friends I hadn’t lost yet stepped in and helped me through the roughest times. She is about four years older than me; so she had been through what I was going through. We were so alike, that she said it shocked her. I was still having bad times, but when I did I would just call her or go to see her and she helped make sense of it. She was the only one who could calm me down if I was having a panic attack or was so angry I couldn’t speak. She became my best friend. She is closer than a friend to me; she is family. We could tell each other anything and I finally felt like I had a place to fit in.

Through all of this she didn’t have to be there. She could have left like the others, but she stayed, she was a true friend. She is one in a million. Her friendship got me through some pretty dark days in my life, that without her support I would probably still be where I was almost three years ago hurting myself.

I believe in the power of true friendship; it can change a person’s life. It definitely changed mine.