the beauty of words

sara - Beaverton, Oregon

When writing, it is the only time I can tell someone how I truly feel, from myself to my perspective on life. When I read my speech that I wrote for my deceased uncle at his funeral, I told him and everybody listening how much I missed him, how much I loved him, and how deep my hear sank in misery and regret. I was never able to tell him that I really did care. I did not know how, except through my writing. I had finally told him how I truly felt, but it was too late.

When writing, I’m able to express myself for who I am. My fears and believes. My inner pride and disappointments. My positive and negative outlooks on life. My accomplishments and failures, past experiences and hopes for the future. I use it when petrified, worried, anxious, depressed, anguished or ecstatic; as if it is my personal power tool. It is a stress reliever, my own escape, a way to my heart.

I love writing! It has always been a passion of mine. I remember when I wrote my first poem when I was in the second grade. I was visiting some family in Europe. I remember very early in the morning, running down the stairs to share my very first poem with everybody. They praised it and gave me the idea to become a writer. It has only progressed since then.

A story can tell everything about someone. Where they’re from and how they got here. Their past, present, and possibly their future.

Their wrong and right ways. From their most precious memories to their worst. Their hopes and dreams, inner thoughts and deep connections. The wisdom they have learned throughout life and lessons they can teach us. We are our own writers, and that is why I believe…writing is the key to success.