I Believe in Laughter

Jennifer - Salem, Virginia

We all know the feeling. Your stomach hurts, your eyes are watering, the smile on your face makes your cheeks sore, and in that moment you are genuinely happy. Your life may not be remotely simple or carefree, but for right now you don’t mind. I believe in laughter. I believe in the unifying power of laughter, in the way it eases the burdens of everyday life, and in laughter’s unstoppable and infectious nature.

Laughing has a mysterious way of making me feel connected to other people. When I laugh with people, we share a unique and intimate bond, and I automatically experience a very real feeling of closeness that was not there before. It is something I can share with people who are otherwise radically different from myself. Laughter has served as one of the most significant building blocks in my relationships with my friends. When I laugh, I reveal something about myself to the people around me. It’s authentic. For a brief moment my guard is let down, and people get to catch a very real glimpse of my character. After laughing with someone, I feel like have a deeper understanding of who they are and what makes them tick. My very best friends are easily the people with whom I’ve spent the most time laughing.

Laughter also has the power to make me temporarily forget all my worries. Even when I feel completely overwhelmed or am really sad, laughing makes me feel a little better. The ability to laugh even in the midst of all my problems and concerns proves to me that my joy is more powerful than my worry. When I’m weighed down by stress and anxiety over all the things I can‘t control, laughing at something reminds me not to take life too seriously all the time. Laughter refreshes me and gives me the energy to press on. It really is the best medicine, a quick fix, a cure all. It is my ultimate stress reliever.

Laughter seems to spread like wildfire. It’s like an unstoppable force of nature. Joy is contagious, and once I catch it I want to spread it around as much as possible. I’m not selfish about laughter; I don’t want to keep it all for myself. I want to share the happiness I’m experiencing with anyone and everyone. Oftentimes when I start laughing I can’t stop, and when I see other people laughing I want to join in.

I think that laughter is one of the most powerful forces there is. It’s dependable, always there to pick me up when I’m at my lowest. It can overcome sorrow and stress and brighten even the darkest days. It can transform an expression of pain into one of joy. It can bring all different kinds of people together. For me, laughter is essential to my everyday survival. I believe in laughter.