I believe in bicycles.

Emily - Zebulon, North Carolina

This I believe

I believe in bicycles. The type of bicycle with pink frilly tassels and come with a “burring” bell. The bicycles with princess baskets, and purple seats. Not the bicycle meant for riding two to three miles on, but the ones you see children riding.

One early Tuesday morning I received a phone call from my two best friends telling me that my Aunt’s house had caught on fire, everything was ruined and all the animals were gone. I immediately woke my younger sister up, who at the time was only eleven, to tell her the devastating news. She jumped out of bed and threw some clothes on.

“Emily, I feel like I need to get on my bike and ride over to her house and give her a big hug.” She said.

“Paula, that’s stupid. Don’t do that.” I asserted.

She told me she was going outside to get some fresh air and she wouldn’t be long.

I decided to make some breakfast while I waited for any more phone calls. The bacon had finished cooking and the waffles popped up from the toaster but there was no sign of my sister. I figured she would have been in by now since it was so hot outside. I walked out the front door and called her name but there was no reply. So I went back inside and ate my food. About the time I was finished eating the phone rang.

“Hello.” I said.

“Hey Emily, I just wanted to let you know that Paula is over here…she rode her bicycle all the way to Mary Ann’s house.” My Nana replied.

“Oh my God,” I exclaimed, “Is she okay? Why would she do something like that?”

“Yes, she’s fine, we’re just glad she made it over here okay.” She answered.

I hung up the phone and sat down in disbelief. My sister had ridden her bicycle two and a half miles, crossed a bridge overtop highway 64, then passes a four-way stop, all by herself! I was simply shocked. I felt so angry that she had lied to me, and that she put herself in such a dangerous situation, but at the same time I could have never been more proud of her.

To this day it still amazes me that one little girl had so much compassion and love for our Aunt, that she would ride her bicycle for two and a half miles, only to give her a hug and say everything will be alright. This I believe.