Don’t Judge A Book by Its Cover

Bianca - USA

I believe in not judging a book by its cover. When you do, you miss out on a lot of great opportunities and valuable experiences. “Not judging a book by its cover” doesn’t mean just for books, it can also be applied to many different situations in your life. It can be something as small as a food you’ve never tried before to something more important such as not judging the people you meet. When you’re younger, everybody gets along with everybody else because you don’t care about little things like what clothes they wear or what they look like. You’re happy just to have people your age to talk to and play with. I think that’s how everyone should be when they get older. Adults and teenagers should use little kids as their example because kids are better at not judging than anyone. If someone is a good person on the inside, then that’s what matters, not what’s on the outside.

I remember back to the first day of school in sixth grade. I was put in art class and I pretty much didn’t know anyone else in there. Each table in the art room was really two tables pushed together facing each other, and there were two seats at each table. So there was a total of four seats in each group. The class was, of course, seated in alphabetical order. Well, I guess I wasn’t really good at making friends, since I had the same friends all through elementary school. These people were my friends since like kindergarten or first grade. We were always in the same classes. Up until then I never really thought about becoming friends with anyone else, because I already had my friends with me, all the time. Now that I was at a new school, there were a lot of people I didn’t know, and my friends weren’t always around. One girl at my table, as I soon found out, was like a “really new kid” because she had come from a private school and really didn’t know anybody at this school at all. She was different than my friends who I’d always had, I guess because she didn’t dress “cool” like them, but that was okay. Once we found out our birthdays were only two days apart, we found out other things that we had in common. Over the course of that semester, we became friends.

I guess I could have taken one look at her clothes, and thought, “She’s not cool, so I don’t want to be her friend.” Or I could have thought that maybe she was a snobbish, private-school-rich-kid. But once I actually took the time to get to know her, I thought she was pretty cool.

Today, this girl is one of my best friends. If I had never bothered to get to know her and judged her by what she wore, then I probably wouldn’t be friends with her today.