I Believe in Your Own Personality

Erica - Louisburg, North Carolina

For having friends who like you for who you are, I believe that first you need to be your own person. I believe everyone should have their own personality. I believe that having your own personality and being your own person is better for yourself and others.

Ever since I was a little girl, I have believed that it was important for yourself and others to be your own person and have your own personality or characteristics. In some cases, like the one I experienced, someone not having their own personality can even ruin a friendship that could have turned out differently if your friend or that person had just had their own personality.

When I was eleven years old and in the fifth grade, I met a new friend. She was close to me in age and seemed very nice. I thought that we had a lot in common. Eventually, the girl and I became somewhat good friends. She even became friends with some of my other friends. This gave all of us a lot of time to spend hanging out together at recess and to sit together at lunch because we all had the same homeroom.

As we got further through the school year and it was getting towards the end of March, I started to notice things. The first thing that I noticed was that she would follow me around pretty much anywhere, especially during recess. Then I noticed she started trying to act like me and saying things I said to people and even when I made a mistake.

She then started wanting to be near me or next to me all the time. She would always be right by me in line, wanting to sit next to me at lunch and things like that.

Some people would find someone else following them around and trying to be with them all the time fine because they like the attention. I’m fine with someone paying attention but someone who practically wants to be you, no, I don’t like that.

Finally, I had had enough. I told some of my friends and they had all noticed it too. I later made it so she couldn’t sit by me at lunch and I hung out with her less. After awhile she started doing her own things and our friendship started to end.

If she had been her own person from the beginning, things may have been totally different between us.

Having your own personality and being your own person allows you to know what you want and what you like to do. Also, with being your own person people will get to know the real you and not a fake imitation of what you want to be. Being yourself and having your own personality is the best thing that could happen to yourself. That is why I believe that everyone should have their own personality and be their own person.