Brannon - 27596, North Carolina

I believe in music. No matter who you are, you can relate to music in some way, shape, or form. I remember when my parents started to argue. I would listen to some song to get my mind off of it. I don’t know why, but it always seemed to make me feel better.

I started getting into rock music as I got older. It seemed like these emo and screamo rock bands were always mad at the world, and I could relate. It was as if I blamed the world for my parents getting divorced. It never occurred to me that they just weren’t meant to be.

When I turned twelve I remember getting my first mp3 player. This brought me even closer to music. I could take my music anywhere I pleased. If I got bored in one of my classes, and happened to have a long sleeve shirt or a jacket on, I would just run the wire up the sleeve and listen to it. If I was riding on an elevator and just couldn’t bear that annoying music, I could simply turn on the mp3 player and listen to my own music.

After about a year or two I started experimenting with the different types of music and how each one made me feel. For example country music made me feel depressed and gave me the urge to get drunk; screamo got me pumped up for whatever sport I happened to be playing at the time; rap made me feel like wearing my pants down around my ankles; and techno just made me feel… weird.

When I got into high school I started cross country. In case you didn’t already know, cross country involves running for very long distances without stopping. At first I couldn’t do it. I had to stop and walk all the time. I just couldn’t find anything to get my mind off of the numerous pains of running. Then one day in practice I started to sing a song in my head. To be exact I started to sing paralyzed by finger eleven. It got my mind off of what I was doing and made me feel like I could just keep running forever, or at least until practice was over.

After that I wondered what else music could help me do. I found out that it makes it easier to do home work, and even helps me go to sleep. I listen to my ipod every night, and just turn it on low.

I think everyone should have the chance to enjoy music, and use it for what it was meant to do, help you cope with any situation you find yourself stuck in.