I believe in good good-byes!

Taylor - Bunn, North Carolina

Has there ever been a time in your life where a good-bye would have actually made you feel better? I believe in good good-byes.

There was never a thought of a good-bye with a friendship I had. There were times we fought, cried, laughed, smiled, walked with our heads up high and didn’t give a dang about what people thought. I knew in my heart that I trusted this person and I felt they liked me as a friend. Their parents though, never really liked me. Maybe it was because when I was with that person I acted a little crazy, but I am really not like that. Actually, I am really shy until you get to know me.

I tried really hard every time we were together to show her parents I was sweet and caring. As you can guess, it never worked. So I kept trying and even quit or gave up things I wanted to do for something they wanted me to do. Being there to see your friend smile and happy to know you are there takes away every feeling of unhappiness about what you gave up. The problem was that this person never seemed to be able to make time for or be willing to give up anything for me. It hurts when that happens. It made me realize that sometimes you need to do things that please you before you try to please others.

My friend’s parents found out about something that my friend and I had been keeping from them. Needless to say, we both got in a lot of trouble. Her parents wouldn’t allow us to even speak to each other on the phone. We didn’t talk for a few days. Finally, I got up the courage to call and I asked if our friendship was over, and they said it wasn’t. I believed them but I shouldn’t have.

Another month went by and when I finally did run into her, she was with someone else. I thought she had been on restriction this whole time! She let me suffer with no information for weeks, thinking there might be a way to get things back to the way they were. To make matters worse she didn’t even acknowledge that I was there.

When I eventually got the courage up to go talk to her, she gave me the cold shoulder and I walked away. I felt horrible and wanted to cry, but I knew I couldn’t. It was obvious to me that it was over. But how was I supposed to know? My friend didn’t even have the courage to tell me good-bye. In this case, a good good-bye would have made all the difference in the world!

It hurts when you try so hard for something that should be so simple. I know good-byes aren’t easy but it’s easier than feeling the pain for holding on to something that isn’t going to happen.

This I believe, if a friendship is over, a good good-bye is necessary to help you heal and move on.