I Believe in Adversity

Cyrus - Glen Allen, Virginia

I believe in adversity. For those of you who are not aware, adversity is a state of misfortune or distress. Most people would look at the word adversity, and immediately give it a negative connotation. I, on the other hand, see adversity as a good thing. My belief is that once you go through adversity, you realize who you really are, and it, more often than not, makes you a stronger, more mature person. Though you may despise the situation while you are going through it, the feeling that one gets from overcoming adversity is indescribable. When you go through adversity, you are less liable to take things for granted. It is when you face adversity that you realize the true value of life. Sure you might be happy now that you have everything, but if you don’t learn to face adversity now, then you will not know how to respond to it when it catches up to you in the future.

Every person on the face of this earth, whether they realize it or not, will face adversity at some point in their lives. Sure some cases are more extreme than others, but it is important to be able to overcome these times. It is my fundamental belief that after one overcomes adversity, they, more often than not, become a stronger, more mature person. I believe in adversity.

My father came to this country at the age of eighteen, and faced a lot of adversity. Whether it was dealing with family separation, racism, poverty, or even illteracy of the English Language, he was able to overcome all of it, and has grown up to be a very successful person. Not to say that he wouldn’t have been successful had he not faced adversity, but I think it just made him value his success that much more. It is because of his willingness to cope with adversity that I have the opportunity to stand here today. I believe in adversity.

In conclusion, I would just like to reiterate my strong belief in adversity. Not the actual concept of it, but more the results of it. So just remember, “what doesn’t kill me, makes me stronger,” and don’t run from challenges, embrace them, for they will only make you a better person in the end. I can honestly say that I have not faced the degree of adversity that I have such a strong belief in quite yet, but when the situation arises, I will be ready. This is why I believe in adversity.