This I believe

Shelby - Greenville, North Carolina
Themes: change, family

I grew up in the so called “Typical Family.” I have a mother, a father, and a little sister. However this typical family changed drastically when I was in the tenth grade. My mom decided to make a bad choice and have an affair. This incident tore are family apart. After that my parents got a divorce. They have joint custody of my little sister. This incident has really put a strain on my relationship with my mother. It is hard for me to accept what she did to my family, it is sad to say but I really resent her. However now that I am in college I have developed my own little family. I believe that a family does not have to be your blood relatives or even a human to be considered a family member. I know that might sound strange, but I now consider my family to be my wonderful boyfriend of three years and my two cats. These are the things that are very close and dear to me. I believe that the family is meant to change through out your life. I guess you can say that you go through different stages of family in your life. For example when you are young your parents and close relatives are consider your family. When you go to college you develop different types of families whether it is with friends or your girlfriend or boyfriend, a sort of home away from home. Another type of family is the one you create yourself. I one day hope to have a traditional family of my own with a husband and child. However, I am very content and happy with what I have now. So what I am trying to get at is for anyone who feels like they do not have a traditional family, look around at the people who care about you the most. Whether it is a friend, a family member, or even an animal, these are the people who care about you through thick or thin. Just know in life the family is destine to change in many ways.