Against All Odds

Kalisha - Greenville, North Carolina

Growing up in a non-educated family has made a huge impact on my life. Before 2003 there were only two people in my family with a high school diploma. This includes my grandfather, grandmother, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Along with my family not being educated, they were also non-supportive of my mother and her children. They have always said that she thinks she is better than everyone and she tries to out-do everyone. But, this is my inspiration. My parents divorced when I was in high school. My dad sisters did not ever care for my mother. They always talk negatively of my brothers and me.

I have always been told by my family that I would get pregnant and drop out of high school; well I proved them wrong in that aspect because I got my high school diploma. Once it was time for college, I said I wanted to go to a university. Instead of congratulating me they asked why not a community college because it cost less and I would not have loans. They also said I would not finish college because [it costs less and you will not have loans. They also said I would not finish college and would drop out because I would inevitably get pregnant.

While I have nothing to prove to them, I will be the generation that makes difference. I have one year left in school and I have used their negativity as my inspiration. So I must thank my family because if it was not for their doubt, I wonder, would I be in my last year of college?