Freedom of Choice

Ashley - Fayetteville, North Carolina
Themes: freedom, morality

Freedom of Choice

Ever since I was a little girl, I have had the freedom to make my own decisions. My mother, sister and I basically were all I had when I was growing up. My father and mother are still married, but he was on active military duty, and when he was stationed somewhere other than home, we stayed put, which was my mother and father’s decision. My mother and sister became my best friends, and always made me feel comfortable to think freely and be confident with my decisions. Being that my sister and I have such a huge age gap, nine years, I found it more comforting to want to hang out with my sister and her friends, to learn more and grow. I liked the fact that they were much older; through my sister’s friends and through trying to keep up with her; I found new interests and beliefs within myself, such as the type of people I wanted to associate myself with, how I would carry and present myself to others and how I felt about myself.

During my high school years most, but not all, of my friends, became sexually active. But, I was not interested in just having sex with any and everybody, being that I didn’t just view sex as something to do when you are bored; sex actually had meaning and purpose to me. At that time in my life, and still to this day, I was really into religion and just could not see myself committing the act of fornication with someone that I did not view as worthy of committing that sin. I believe that in those years, as well as those to come, I formed my belief that hey…it’s ok to make your own decisions on whether or not you want to engage in something you don’t believe in. Although I did not drink, smoke, or have sex at that time, I found myself still being popular with everyone; and still having boyfriends. I was able to be judged for me, and not my choices, even if others didn’t agree.

I have continued to express my thoughts about how people should be able to have freedom of choice in different situations, without fear of what others think. That helped me form my own beliefs about what is right and wrong; in my eyes, and deciding that everyone, can have their own freedom of choice. I believe it is important that everyone have that sense of understanding to know that whatever you believe it is your right to have the freedom to choose.