This I Believe- Acceptance

Samantha - Greenville, North Carolina

In life there are numerous factors that influence us and the things we do, but it’s what you truly believe in that matters the most. I have many views and beliefs, but when I really think about it, there’s one core belief that always holds true to me: In life I believe you should always be open-minded and accepting. In my opinion, life is too short to hate and be judgmental. You should always stand up for what you believe in.

Throughout my entire life I’ve lived by these beliefs. I have always given everyone I’ve met a chance, and gotten to know them. In my opinion your color, gender, sex, religion, and even sexuality are merely aspects of who you are. Who is to say or judge what is wrong or right? We are all unique human beings. I believe life is too short to be anything but who you want to be. When it comes down to it, you have to make yourself happy. Fitting into society’s molds have forced so many people to hide who they really are or want to be.

I formed this belief when I was really young. I was raised by a single mom who was always open minded and free spirited. She taught me to love everyone for who they are, and not pass judgment. I have always had friends from every walk of life. I’ve had friends of multiple races, religions, and cultures. I’ve had close friends that were straight and homosexual. I found that no matter what category people fell into, that there is good in everyone. I made life long friends and companions living by my belief.

I’ve even dated people of different backgrounds and religions in my past. And even though everyone I knew didn’t agree with it, I stuck by their sides. Love is love, and in the end it’s the people who you share your happiness with that matters the most.

We all live and breathe the same air, and we all bleed the same color. At our core, everyone has some similarities. I prefer to love individuals, for whom they are, not who others think they should be. I would never want to miss out on knowing someone great because I was too scared to truly get to know them.

Being open minded doesn’t have to always refer to people. I’m also open-minded about new experiences and trying new things.

In conclusion, life is what you make it. We all want happiness. So do what you want to do, say what you want to say, and above all be who you want to be. I will continue to live my life using these beliefs. Life is too short to hate and judge. So I think we should all try to be more accepting, and open our minds. Live life to the fullest!

“If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything”