Barefeet

Rebecca - Highland Village, Texas

It is not that I think my feet are amazing and want others to see their beauty or think that by not wearing them I am helping the world in some way. It’s just that I believe in not wearing shoes. They give you blisters when they’re new and always seem to fall apart. So every time I see a brand new beautiful pair of heels I stop and think about how I’m not only about to pay way too much money for these but that they will also cause me enormous pain. Would you buy a shirt that was going to rub or be so uncomfortable that by the end of the night you can’t even wait to rip it off? I don’t think so. So why should I spend money for pain and suffering?

Well I do have to admit that I’m a kind of a hypocrite because I am obsessed with purchasing shoes. I have over 40 pairs of shoes at my house another 15 here but I actually only wear about 3 of them. When I am at the store I don’t think about how I hate wearing them at all, all I think about is how gorgeous they look and what girl doesn’t love that Neiman’s shoe guy telling you the same. But if I could have my way I would never wear them. I just see shoes as one more thing people look at to see if you fit in. I know that there are downsides to not wearing shoes, like stepping on something sharp and walking on many unsanitary surfaces but I just don’t think wearing them is necessary.

I enjoy walking around campus barefoot, which yes, I have done plenty of times. I think shoes provide the most benefit by sitting in my closet looking pretty, rather than going out in the real world to get scuffed and broken. This way I never have to worry about my mom killing me for ruining my shoes. The feel of fresh grass and sand between your toes is so much nicer than cotton or leather could ever be. Walking around barefoot also reminds me of being a kid again, and that carefree feeling comes back to me. My favorite part about not wearing shoes would have to be the looks people give me. Some people stare with bewilderment and disgust thinking, “who raised her”. While others just have a look of surprise then tend to giggle. And then the rare occasion some one else is also shoeless, there is that look of understanding and always a smile. Since I’m from Texas, I didn’t know anyone when I came here and not wearing shoes is helping me make lots of friends. With all these benefits I just don’t understand why anyone would ever want to wear those constricting and painful things called shoes when they don’t have to. I just believe in not wearing shoes.