My Opinion of the War in Iraq

Bryan - greenville, North Carolina

I believe that Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) has been portrayed in a very pessimistic way by a majority of the U.S. media and many other groups of people over the past several years. People have continuously questioned both the United States military and coalition forces involvement ever since the initial invasion on Baghdad and the fall of Saddam Hussein’s regime dating back to March of 2003. I believe that citizens of the United States and all across the world warrant a more accurate understanding in order to produce a well thought out opinion as to weather or not our involvement in Iraq is necessary. This can be achieved if people were presented with more of the positive rather than negative aspects of the war, as our media likes to put it. To me, being misled by our media is unfair to our Country, its citizens, and most of all our troops who serve in harms way day in and day out to protect our beliefs. As a veteran who has served two combat tours in Iraq I have seen and taken part in providing many great changes for the innocent Iraqi people who once lived much of their lives in tremendous fear and uncertainty. The problem I have is that the media seems to never report the good and always reports the bad, this is why many people tend to look away when the subject of Iraq comes to mind. The war has been an unfortunate bloodshed, many lives have been lost throughout the liberation of Iraq mainly due to massive shootings, suicide bombs, civil unrest, improvised explosive devices (IED’s), and other various acts of violence that are eminent when it comes to any war. However, this is all the media seems to report, and although factual, the good should be reported as well. We are winning the war against terrorism in Iraq it has been proven true since the surge, this is the good that needs to be focused on. The media should focus on how we are helping an entire nation transition into a democratic society. By doing this we are allowing for other individuals to have the same freedoms and rights we as Americans cherish so greatly. I feel horrible that families have lost loved ones and their lives will never again be the same, I’m sure any rational person would agree. The point I’m trying to make is yes terrible things have happened in Iraq, and these things will continue to happen until we have completed our mission and the Iraqi government is strong enough to sustain itself safely and efficiently. The media will continue to pick and poke at the bad, and fail to mention the good in all of this. This is what I have to say to the media and any other individual who fails to take notice of the good and continues to take notice of the bad. I was there ensuring that every eligible Iraqi received that ink stain on their finger and was able to vote and have a say for the first time in their history. I was there to witness the successful training of Iraqi security forces so they could have the opportunity to protect themselves. I was there to see new government officials elected so they could begin to write their constitution. And most importantly I was there to witness the joy of Iraqi families as their country began to rebuild and overcome the devastating tragedies that they have faced over the years. I saw change in Iraq, positive change that no other person can understand from watching the news in their living rooms or reading the papers at their kitchen table. The lack of understanding is not the fault of the American people, in reality it’s the fault of the media for not presenting all the facts, both good and bad of the war in Iraq.