I believe in the outdoors

Angel - USA
Themes: nature

When was the last time that you went outside? I don’t mean just walking to class but actually went outside. With all of the new technology and video games, we spend less time outside more and more every year. I love being outside. There is so much to do and see. Some of my best memories happened outdoors. For example, growing up and playing outdoors with my neighborhood friends, over the summer, I worked at a Christian summer camp where the only time you spent indoors was to eat and sleep, and even here at JMU I’ve already created an awesome memory with friends just by being outside. The outdoors brings people closer. This is why I believe in the outdoors.

Growing up, my brother and me didn’t have a whole lot to do inside. So we spent most of our time outside. He would hang out with his friends and I would hang out with mine. Because we spent so much time outside together, most of my neighborhood friends are still my friends today. The outdoors meant freedom to run around and explore. We would make up fun games to play and do all kinds of exciting things. I moved into a different neighborhood about years ago and each year there are less and less kids outside playing. It makes me sad that they aren’t getting the same experience that I did growing up.

This past summer I had the best job! I worked at a Christian summer camp called Camp Piankatank. It’s located on the Piankatank River. There was so much to do there. For example, sailing, kayaking, rock wall climbing, there was a zip line, there were sport fields and also a swimming pool. I worked with so many great people and it may sound corny but the outdoors really did bring us together. We had to do staff training for two weeks in the hot sun all day. We learned to trust each other and love each other. It also brought us closer with the campers. Every Thursday we would go out to the dock and have an evening worship like thing on the water. It was so peaceful looking up at the stars and listening to the water hit the dock. It was always everyone’s favorite part of the week.

The first week when JMU put on the dance party, I was hanging out with some friends and we weren’t really dancing so we decided to go to the Astronomy Park and look at the stars. It was so awesome because we all just laid down and started talking. We got to know each other so much more that night and we hang out all the time now.

I encourage everyone to go outside just to enjoy nature. It won’t be that hard here since we are surrounded by all of the beautiful mountains. I have so many good memories being outside and I hope that all of you do as well and that we don’t loose them to technology.