Why Spongebob is my Idol

Katie - Harrisonburg, Virginia

I believe in Spongebob Squarepants. Not because I idolize cartoon figures or because he lives in a pineapple under the sea. Rather, I believe in Spongebob because he has been with me for a majority of my life.

I can still recall my days in the fifth grade, and the moment I was introduced to Spongebob, and how my life forever changed. My friend Hayley would begin quoting whimsical nonsense to me, and as she explained it came from a show on Nickelodeon, only the best channel on television to an 11 year old, I wondered why I hadn’t gotten in on the craze. Soon I would spend every afternoon imaginable over at Hayley’s, and we would watch episodes of Spongebob while eating snacks and laughing at all the goofy times that lovable yellow square had. Spongebob formed a bond between our friendship I had never known before, and we often would annoy other kids with all our inside jokes from the show. Most memorable is the “FUN song” from an episode when Plankton and Spongebob became friends, showing how with patience and tolerance of others any two people can get along. Although she and I have grown quite apart over the years, Spongebob never did, and I jump at the opportunity to send Spongebob bumper stickers to her via Facebook.

Spongebob helped form another close bond in my life, to my brother. When Spongebob first began, my brother had just been born. Ten years later and the show remains as popular as ever. My brother and I have an eight-year difference in age, but to us, Spongebob reflects no age boundaries. Frequently my brother and I will sit and watch Spongebob together, he laughing more at the show, and me at how adorable he can be and how I miss the days when all sorts of silly phrases seemed so amusing. Much like my friend Hayley, my brother and I also have our inside jokes revolving around the show. Often on boring car trips we will shout out our favorite quotes and giggle, as the rest of the family rolls their eyes, unable to understand the union we share from the show.

From one generation to another, the hilarities of a ditzy yellow sponge have somehow managed to create a closeness to others far beyond imaginable. I truly believe nothing else has kept me so tied to another person this far in life. In the world today, there is so much reality garbage on TV that it is easy to get caught up in the fantasy view of living. Yet Spongebob, though fictional as well, has reminded me about the simple pleasures in life, such as sharing a laugh with a friend, or learning about how to fry “Krabby Patties”. You may consider me immature, but I’m really just a kid at heart, continuing to believe in Spongebob.