I believe that God not only answers our prayers, He keeps His promises too!

Teresa - Casa Grande, Arizona

Does God answer our prayers? What do you think about this question? Does it strike a chord in your basic belief system or just irritate you? Some people will say without hesitation a firm and resounding YES!!! While others are not as enthusiastic; for me I have to say yes, He does. I was a single parent for a very long time and with God’s guidance both of my children are becoming great people. People, that I can say I actually like to be around. Not many parents are willing to say that about their children. I am not one of those parents and let me tell you why.

As a single parent of 2 young adults in their twenty’s I have had my doubts on more than one occasion that I was doing all the right things as they were growing up. My children’s father and I divorced when they where 5 and 7 years old. To say that he was not around for much of their childhood is being kind. Of course, this put me in the position of being both mother and father. Can you imagine how difficult it was for me to punish my children for one thing and then in the span of less than five minutes have to console them for something entirely different? Anyone with knowledge of single parent families knows this is no walk in the park! The responsibilities are enormous and many times the load is daunting. I as a parent have spent many hours in tears and on my knees praying that my children would always choose to do the right thing. As we know, choosing the wrong thing is often quicker and easier!

Just this past weekend I was sitting in the front seat of my car with my daughter, talking about all kinds of things. Usually these conversations were fairly short, because I was dropping her off at the apartment she was sharing with some friends and I needed to get home. However, this time it was different, it seemed like she didn’t want to get out of the car. She brought up the subject of a conversation about a specific choice that she had needed to make for a very long time. This was a conversation that we have had countless times before. A resolution was important because at the time my child, who was only 17, lied to me to get my permission to stay with some friends for a few weeks.

On the surface, this was one friend spending the summer at another friend’s home. However, when one looked past the surface though the murky half truths that I had been told, the actual reasoning had been lost. Not only had I been lied to, the other family had also been told a series of lies as well.

Summer came and went, school started and Christmas break was just around the corner and she was still at this friend’s home. Tension’s continued to grow between both families. Every time I tried to talk about what was going on with this situation, I would get upset and start to cry. Of course, when I started to cry I would get more upset and then I would get angry at myself for showing venerability. At that point she would just shut down and refuse to talk about what was going on any longer.

About nine months ago, after much discussion with my husband and much prayer to God. I decided to stop talking about the situation and leave this in her lap. I told her it was a choice that I couldn’t and wouldn’t talk with her about any longer. This had been the longest, most agonizing nine months I had ever experienced. As we sat there talking, my child looked into my eyes with tears and said “mom, I think it is time for me to come home; if I’m still allowed.”

“Mom, I think it is time for me to come home; if I’m still allowed.” Still allowed?! My prayers had been finally answered! Sure, I didn’t like the timing, because I had wanted it to happen for almost 2 years. But the point is, it happened and God not only answered this mother’s prayer, He had kept His promise.