Familes torn, yet overcome with love

Myra - Greenville, North Carolina
Themes: family, setbacks

I believe families can be torn apart as a result of money, selfishness and greed. I believe this very statement because it has happened to my family. Ten years ago when, my paternal grandmother passed away, the family unit began to slowly become distant and fall apart. She was the backbone of the family; she held everyone together because she had so much love to give that everyone respected her and her decisions.

After she passed away, the family business was left to my father and my uncle. Without my father’s knowing, my uncle managed to embezzle money and eventually make the business go bankrupt. By the time my father realized what was happening, it was too late. Everything my grandparents and my father had worked for their whole lives was gone with in the blink of an eye.

When the rest of the family found out what had happened, my uncle and his family were not invited to any of our annual family functions. This however did not bother them in the least, because they got what they wanted and did not seem to be bothered by the fact that the rest of their family was disappointed in them.

My father passed away 5 years ago, and it seems as though nothing has changed. If anything it has only gotten worse. My uncle did not show the least bit of sorrow when his only brother suddenly died. He just took everything from him and his children, until now. Since I am now 24 and have managed to put life experiences and facts together, I have come to realize that my uncle is not going to get away with this. With the help of my father’s friends and family, we are working together to get back what is legally owed to my two younger siblings and me.

Without the love and strength that my father gave to my brother, sister and I, we would not be able to come together to make this situation right. I am thankful each day that I can trust and rely on them. This has also made us closer than we have ever been before and nothing is capable of breaking that bond now.

Families are the most important things in your life, because if you can’t trust your own blood, then who can you trust? This experience was a big eye opener to me, as well as to my 19-year-old sister and 14-year-old brother. I hate that they had to experience such things at a young age, but I think it will help them us all become better people in the future. That is why I believe that families are torn apart as a result of money if it is fueled by selfishness and greed.