Communication is the key to success

Firaas - McLean, Virginia

Throughout my life I have always had a passion for communication. It is the key to opening up all doors in life because of its ability to voice your opinion, personality, and many other traits in a strong captivating way. It allows you to get what you want in all aspects of life whether it be climbing up the social ladder, getting a job, showing what you stand for, or even love. Through perfecting your communication skills, you are able to take your aspirations to being successful and turn it into a reality by persuading your audience to believe what you want to believe.

To focus on one particular event was the my sixth speeding ticket. My driving record was atrocious even before the age of 18, and my insurance was through the roof. At this point in my driving career it would be almost impossible to talk my way out of any ticket to an officer. I got pulled over on July 1st of 2007, which unfortunately was the first day the new and very strict speeding violation laws were put into affect. I got pulled over going 80 in a 30, in the morning through a routine speed trap. When I was pulled over the officer was all over my case aggravated and ready to ruin my life as well. He came over screaming so my first thought in communicating why I should not get a speeding ticket was to calm him down first, in order for me to voice my reasons in a state of mind in which he can absorb them. I told him in many ways how stupid I was and told him to please calm down and listen to what I had to say. Once he was calm, I proceeded to take responsibility for my mistake therefore making him more calm and at ease. Then my next step in my process of communication was to give him legitamite reasons to my speeding. I was late to work, and I couldn’t be. I also asked him before he was an officer and he held a summer job, was he ever in a hurry to get to work? I told him I am not speeding to a party, I am going to work like a responsible teenager, except my irresponsible driving habit. He agreed and I further proceeded to talking about my reason to speed, which was in depth on my work, and then what would happen after he did give me a speeding ticket. I told him it was my summer, and not only would I be grounded for at least a month, my dad would take my car away. I proceeded to go more in depth on what this would entail such as my long hard summer deserved would be gone, and it would all go to waste. Then I began to tell him how hard my dad works, and put the officer in my dads shoes and asking him if he had any kids. He did, and at that point I asked him if he works hard for his kids and do they ever make mistakes. In this strategy I was able to put him into the role of a dad and me a role of a son, not an officer and a crazy teenager. After about a 15 minute relaxed conversation in which I was able to switch roles, and also show him that I took complete responsibility of my irresponsibility, he let me off the hook completely saving me from a grounding and $4,000 fine that followed the new wreckless speeding laws.

In conclusion, communication works in all scenarios and is essential in every way to voicing your reasons and getting the outcome you initially aspired to get. Although this speeding ticket might not be an interview with a CEO of a fortune 500 company I am trying to work for, someday when that situation arises communication will help me as a key to my success. Through the process of communication, you are able to turn your aspirations into reality.