Seeing Meaning In More Than What Entertains

Ryan - Des Moines, Iowa
Themes: carpe diem

Seeing Meaning in More Than What Entertains

We’re all human, and sometimes things just don’t seem to matter, until they’re gone of course. I believe that no matter how big or how small, how important or not important something is, we should all try our best to not take things for granted. I mean I know that everyone, including me, has better things to do then worry about the small things in life, the things that seem to be nothing because they are a given to most people. But sometimes those small things seem to add up.

This past year things have really started to mean something more to me than what they did in the years before. By this I mean the people around me, the small things, the things that seem to be almost useless to care about. In the past I would hardly acknowledge even an acquaintance that had passed me, let alone a stranger. I’m not saying I had no social life, but that I felt no point in saying something as little as hi when we passed, knowing it most likely wouldn’t be the last. Now I try to greet most people I encounter while straying alone. And something as little as spelling seemed to have no use to do it right, along with grammar. I was careless as long as I got it right in school. Careless about the day I was living and things that I did, seeing that there would always be a better day.

By saying this, I don’t mean to give the impression I was some juvenile who needed to get my head on straight, doing terrible in school, and making all the wrong decisions. Only saying that by living in this society where things come at so you fast, that I was too occupied with everything else to take time to appreciate the little things that to some people mean the most. Nor am I saying I have done a fair share of wrong doing, or was / am a bad kid, just that when I take a look at life, it’s really more than meets the eye. It’s sad, and somewhat to pathetic to say that it has taken most of my life to care for everything, rather than things I only enjoyed, when I should’ve done this ever sense I was a kid. As my high school “career” nears closer to end I wish I could go back and do it again, only this time with more respect for everything and everyone. And try not to be so greedy with things that were there for the taking.

What lies in the future I am unsure of, but I do know I am going to try and respect everything no matter what the importance. Also, do my best to be more thankful for what I have, seeing that others may be without even the simplest things.