Curtis-Blaine - Martinsburg, West Virginia

I believe in love. I believe in compassion, but most of all I believe in obedience. Obedience is the way we can truly show our love, and give or receive compassion. Obedience has always been an aspect that has affected my life in always more than one way. The biggest and most obviace way that it affects my life is physically. When I am disobedient I tend to always get injured physically. Whether it be don’t go over there, or do this, I always tend to get hurt.

When I was six months old I had pneumonia. My life was completely in God’s hands. While I was in the emergency room my sweat mother prayed to our Father in Heaven and promised that she would raise me to serve him if He let me live. Because of Heavenly Father’s compassion to my mother I am still alive and going strong today. My dear mother kept her promise. She has always taught me to be obedient, and I guess the way God keeps that in the forefront of my mind is to have something noticeable happen when I am not obedient.

One of the most memorable times that I was disobedient was when I was eight years old. I was specifically told not to climb this mammoth of a tree in my back yard. Being my stubborn self I climbed the tree. I didn’t just stop at the broken down tree house, instead I climbed as high as I could go. On the way to the top I jumped from one branch to the next and the branch snapped sending me falling faster and faster towards the ground. I landed with a loud thud onto a board with nails sticking out. My body was positioned in such a way that I missed every nail. I was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance which I don’t remember because I had suffered a major concussion. Since that thud, my chest gets a reenactment of the sudden stop of everything in my body. Every once in a while I have a sudden sharp feeling where I can’t do anything. Everything in me stops for a second. It is excruciatingly painful, but it helps remind me to be obedient. Because of that I have been able to look at my choices and make the choice to be obedient much easier. Obedience is the key to love and compassion. I believe in obedience.