Dance Your Troubles Away

Priscilla - standfield, Arizona

Can you dance your troubles away? When your emotions cluster together that you want to scream. That you feel so angry or sad that you wish you could just make it go away but don’t know how? In any case, when people feel like that, they will go out for a run or write down what they feel. Some will draw, color or just want to be left alone. When others grab the nearest credit card and go on a shopping spree. When I’m feeling in the blues, I dance. For me, dance is my freedom from everything. That’s why I believe that dance is a way of letting go.“Maybe we should separate”, where the words that came out of my mothers mouth as I opened my bedroom door. As I woke up, my parents were arguing and I don’t know how it even started. While this was going on, I was getting my dance things together for the dance piece I was in. I was co-choreographer for the Nutcracker. When I heard my mother say those words, my heart felt as though it had frozen. Hesitation came over me as I opened the door.

As I looked up, my parents saw the reaction on my face. I left without saying one word to either of them. My heart was beating fast, eyes began to get watery and almost immediately tears began to trial down my face. I got in my truck and headed for the school. When I arrived, I didn’t even talk to no one and went straight towards the dance room. It seems likely as if I should isolate myself from everyone after what I just heard that morning.

On the other hand, I decided to set things aside and try to get my mind off of it. As I was putting my things down, I heard the Arabian song from the Nutcracker playing. So I restarted the song and began to dance. While I danced to the music, I felt free like nothing could hold me back. There was no noise, expect for the playing music. All the sadness that I was feeling was going away a little bit at a time. When the music ended, I felt completely better, like nothing had happened at all, a brand new day. Yet again, in realty something did, my parents were at a point of getting a divorce.

As I turned around to the stereo, I saw my friend standing there with an astonished look on his face. I was shocked to find out that someone was watching me dance. He had asked me where I learned how to dance outrageously, as in doing stuff that professional dancers would do. I told him no one did, that I was simply expressing myself. He asked me why I was expressing myself, so I decided to tell him what happened. I wasn’t looking for any sympathy, but he made me feel like he knew what I was going through. He also said not to get stressed about it because things were surely to get better, I hoped that he was right.When I was on my way home I was thinking to myself what was going to happen when I got there. Was my mom still going to be there, or what about my dad, was he? I was scared because I didn’t know what happened after I left, my mind was wondering around. As I entered the house I got goose bumps and a cold chill went down my spine. My house was completely silent and then my mom appeared from the room. She smiled and said “ Don‘t worry, everything is okay”. I felt like a weight was lifted off of my shoulders, they were not getting a divorce. I was so thankful to hear my mom say that.

What I find to be a little funny was that I don’t even remember what I was doing, I was just dancing to the music. However, dance is fun, exciting and tiring as well. Nevertheless, dance is a good workout too. For me, I will never get tired of dancing. It has helped me get through things that have happened in my life. Like others, they have their own way of letting go . I on the other hand, choose to dance. I have no boundaries, the sky is my limit. Dance is always going to be my little secret thing. Like others have their private places where they can be left alone. That’s why my belief is that I can let go of things by simply dancing away.