I believe in myself

Carl - Casa Grande, Arizona

Believe in life

Hello, to all the readers who are looking for a wonderful story. My name is Carl Hall and I am writing a story about a belief, which is me. I’m going to tell you about a lot of stories, for the reason why I chose myself. If you are looking for a great belief from someone, I hope this is the right one for you.

The reason why I believe in myself is, because my whole life people was doubting me, saying I can’t do this, or I won’t make it far. I want to prove that they were wrong. When I lived back in Detroit, not too long ago, I was told that I wouldn’t make it to the age of 18. I was always getting into trouble, and hanging around the wrong people. I wasn’t getting very good grades until I moved here to Arizona last year, so I seen that everything was going bad, and I started listing to peoples remarks. My mom didn’t think I would graduate and go to college, so I thought it was true. When I thought about it, I said to myself, why am I still in school then if I’m not going to graduate. I thought about dropping out hard, but I knew that the only reason why I was still in school was, because of the sports I was playing: basketball and track and field. I knew that all the other kids would be on the team and I would just be hearing about them and being jealous, besides I thought I still had a shot to get a scholarship anyways.

A scholarship for sports was the last thing my mom would have expected me to get, because she says there are millions of people in this country and you would have to be one of the best. My grandparents said the same thing, but they didn’t doubt me like that and say that I won’t make it. My grandma said that you can do what you put your mind to, and I keep that in my head for the longest. So I keep playing basketball and track and field, and I was getting grades to barely keep me eligible for the state of Michigan to let me play, which is a 1.67 G.P.A required in Michigan to play sports, and I was getting a 2.0 G.P.A. There would always be one class that I couldn’t pass or get a good grade in. Either the class was too hard, the teacher was too mean. The reason for me saying that is, because if I had failed a class, I would have to take it over that following year, and I would always pass the class a second time with an A. That’s one of the main reasons for my elders not believing in me, because I use to get those kind of grades. I use to try harder and harder, and I was thinking that the following years are just going to get harder, and I can’t even do this, and I thought that I would always be in that situation. May G.P.A was about a C average my first two years of high school, but every time I got a D or a F, my mom would kid me off the team. For one, she just had some filling that I was not going to do good in sports, so when she always kicked me off, I use to have to sneak and still play. I would be hard, because she would put me on punishment a expect me to be home right after school at lease at 3:30 p.m., But I would either not come home still until after practice, or I would just sneak out my room when I got home, because my practice started at 5:30. Then I would have to sneak back in, being scared, thinking she would be right in my room, but lucky me I didn’t get caught.

My friends who I use to hang around with were bad influence to me, because they were always down to get in trouble, and I couldn’t just not be their friend. We knew each other to long, and everywhere in Detroit was trouble. You could never be by yourself, because you would either get jumped, robbed, kid napped, or killed. My mom knew my friends were kind of trouble makers, going in and out of jail, and not going to school anymore. That’s how my mom thought I was going to be like.

After a while of thinking, I thought, I didn’t want to live this life anymore. I knew I could make myself better if I was in a different place and my mom was tired of living there, so she decided to move to Arizona. She said that I could come along if I changed and stayed in school. I thought about it for a few days and I decided to go. There wasn’t too much violence here, well not enough to get me involved. I haven’t been in any fights here. I haven’t been in any trouble. I started to play football in Casa Grande just so I would be forced to go to school and get better grades. Everything was getting better. The classes were easier, and I was starting to get good grades. I started to get 3.0 and higher my last two years in high school. I had proved myself wrong. After I had started turning my life around, I had started thinking about college. I actually thought about going to college for the first time. My mom still thought I wasn’t going to go. At that point I didn’t really care, I just wanted to get another 3.0. I don’t know how or what, but Arizona was so much easier than Michigan. I rules were different and all of the work we do.

During my last year in high school I was running track for Casa Grande Union High School. I was really fast. I was the fastest on my team. I have gotten a lot faster since I have been in Arizona. I had already qualified for states and I was the fastest in the region. I thought people would be faster down here, because it’s hot and they run all year around. I was hearing stuff from people that my high school coach had talked to the CAC coach here, about me running here. My high school coach told me he was going to try to get me into this college. I didn’t think it would happen, but the high school coach helped the college coach change his mind. I remember they were in a meeting together talking after practice. A couple of my friends and I had heard them. We were right outside the office. I seen them when they went in office and they had spicy chicken. We all joked around and asked them can we have some, because we could smell it and we knew exactly what it was. After they had got done eating, the coaches came out, and he shook my hand and said guess what, and I said what, and he said welcome to the team. I was excited. The first thing I did was smile. My high school coach had done a lot. I ended up getting a scholarship and a dorm. So that’s how I got to college.

Now that I’m in college with a scholarship for track, I have proven my mother wrong. By coming to Arizona my life has turned around big time, because if I was still in Michigan who knows where I would be at in life. I probably won’t have graduated, not the way I was going when I was there. If I could give myself a grade from me changing myself, and how I am now, I would probably give me a C, which means alright, but I can do better. Now when I talk to my cousins on the phone, they ask me what am I doing with my life right now. Now I can say something without feeling bad. I would say, I’m in college running track, and they would be all shocked and jealous. That’s where I am at all the way up until today. I don’t know about this being the best story, but I hope it was alright to all of you guys who reads this.