A Child at Heart

alec - charlotte, North Carolina
Themes: children

We are all six years old. Well maybe not six years old on the outside but we are in our hearts. I believe that whenever anyone who has passed their golden years of childhood, passes a playground or a big windy, twisty sculpture, they want more than anything else just to return to those years and be able to play once again. Everyone knows they want to, but they’re just too ashamed to admit it. People don’t want to be judged because they know people will think differently of them. People don’t know that other people feel the same way.

I had a friend when I was 12 who didn’t want to play a game that we used to play when we were much younger. This really hit me hard and his words, “Dude… you seriously still want to play that? That’s such a kid’s game!” rang in my head for weeks. Somehow I could tell that he still wanted to play, but was too afraid that I would consider him immature if he said yes. For a long time I couldn’t help but think about why he had said no. I finally came to realize that, everyone feels that same way. Everyone wants to play and run around and be innocent and worry free. Everyone wants to be a kid again. It’s kind of like a dream to want to me six years old, because after all, childhood IS innocence. This was reinforced again the other day when I was at work at Chick-fil-a and a woman was outside with her kids. I asked her if I could get her anything. She told me there was nothing. I looked at her kids and said “looks like they’re having fun huh?” She said “yeah… I wish I could do that.”

Every once in a while, I will watch some kids cartoons or I will play around outside and act like a kid again. It helps me to feel not quite as stressed out. We all have it deep in our hearts. It’s more than an urge; it’s more like an instinct. Everybody has so much stress in their everyday lives, and just watching T.V or playing video games can’t stop it. This is why vacations to the beach relieve so much stress. When we are there we get to play in the sand again and jump into the waves and just be a child again. Everyone is a still a kid at heart. This I believe.