Style over Fashion: Express who you are.

Eulannae - Coolidge, Arizona

Gore Vidal once said “Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say and not giving a damn.” And I totally agree with him. Style says a lot about a person. Some people are scared to step out the box and be different so they follow the trends everyone else is wearing.

When I attended Mount Saint Agnes Academy a high school in Bermuda, we had uniforms and had to wear it correctly. We had our days were we call it “grub days” were the student chose freely on what they’d like to wear.

It was the first grub day of the year and of course teenage girls were excited to see what others looked like. That night I must have spent hours on decided what to wear. I wanted to stand out, I barely follow others. So I came up with a beige beret, dark orange shirt, beige vest straight leg jeans and beige and dark orange shoes. I went school and as I walked into my Print Design class my teacher said “You have a metropolitan style.” I responded and said “What does that mean?” He told me to look it up so that’s what I did. Come to find out it’s a style of a city girl.

The next grub day, of course being a girl I spent more hours on picking out what to wear than my homework. Of course I wanted to stand out again. I was listening to the song “Like a Boy” from Ciara, and had the vision of dressing like a boy. So I picked out a tight fitted shirt, baggy pants and a pair of sneakers. The morning I went school people thought I was going to dress in a city girl way, but one girl had said to me that she was shocked at what I was wearing. I gave her a confused look and asked “why?” and replied “because you always switch it up you h have a unique style. Of course you’ll always have someone to degrade you she said that she didn’t like what I was wearing” But I just say “who were they to tell me what to wear?”

That’s why I believe style expresses who you are, and I think being unique could better in many ways just not as in what you wear. I truly am different and don’t have any intention on changing. I still do my own thing because I believe that I am an unique individual, and God broke the mold when he made me.