I Believe In Crying

Erin - Huntersville, North Carolina

Crying is not a sign of weakness. Releasing feelings, disgust, and stress through crying is one of the best things one can do for themselves. I believe in crying, I believe in crying and its ability to help get through tough situations. As kids, we cry over the small things in life and as we grow older we cry less and when we do cry, especially in front of others, it seems to make us feel like we have damaged our pride. People seem to have problems with crying in public or crying around other people. I have to admit that I was one of those people. I don’t like showing weakness, and to me, crying around others made me feel weak and like I can’t handle things that are going on in my life. I don’t open up to people easily, but as I have become older I find it helpful.

One of the first times I ever really opened up to people was at my youth church camp during the summer. It had been a tough year. I had sunk to an all time low. My freshman year in high school was probably the toughest of any year I have experienced. When I was in a worship service one night something came over me and I just let it go. That was the first time that I ever really cried in front of other people. It helped to cry in front of my youth group who were not going to judge me, but I felt as if a burden was lifted when I just finally let it all go.

By letting go of bad feelings through crying my life has changed dramatically. I used to be that tough girl that would never let you know if something was going on inside of me. That one summer changed everything and ever since I have been able to open up and just cry. I’ve realized that crying in front of people or even on your own does not show weakness and it shouldn’t make me feel like I am inferior to others that keep everything together. I’ve learned that the people that seem to have it all together are usually the ones that are hurting the most inside. Crying is a stress reliever and to me, it’s the best thing you can do for yourself. So don’t be afraid just open up, cry, let it out. What’s the worst thing that could happen? Crying fixes everything.