Matthew - North Carolina

I don’t think that I, as a person, am any different than anybody else. I see it as all of us being human, being one culture that lives together. But, in life you will always encounter obstacles and people, in our culture of human life, that think differently. That separates people because they are different, taking away that sense of culture. One of these differences, in particular, affects me more than any others.

Usually I don’t get affected by things people say about me. I tend not to let it get me down. I dismiss it. And it used to help, until I hit high school. About midway through my freshman year, I began to question my sexuality. Back then, I really didn’t want to be who I am today. I hated the thought and I couldn’t bear to think about it. Everything I heard throughout the school, by the media, and even on the internet, always said negative things about the person I thought I was. So I hid it, I tried to, like most people when they first realize, but sometimes it can’t be helped.

By the middle of my sophomore year I was still trying to hide it, yet more people began to notice. I was falling into the situation I had feared since the year before, the situation that the culture I lived in seemed to despise.

Junior year came quicker than ever, and over the summer, I finally realized it was time to stop trying to be someone everyone wanted me to be and to start accepting myself as an individual, as one who stood out from the crowd because that’s what really matters the most. Everyone would tells me that life is about living the one you want to and not what others want you to live, and that’s what makes you different.

Now as being an open homosexual, my life is better. I feel like I can make a difference, help change the world from what it is today. By accepting myself I find it easier for people to accept me and for me to accept people as they are. It opens my eyes to so many more opportunities then I had allowed myself in the past.

I never knew how accepting people can really be, especially your friends. Even though most people say they do not like homosexuals’, most people are not that way. Many of your friends will still accept you no matter who you are.

I know good and bad things happen and hopefully one day the good will over come the bad, just like in the movies. But until that day comes, every homosexual will face the same challenges that I did. Once the day comes that our culture will begin to accept people as being different yet the same, our world will become a better place. This I believe.