Elizabeth - Charlotte, North Carolina

My Brother, Max, is the most precious, sweet, and loving child I have ever met. He has the deepest voice I have ever heard come out of an 8 year old, and it is so adorable. When you look at him he wants to be just like you. The look in his eye is full of hope and generosity. Like everyone, he wants to try his best and succeed. It’s just more difficult for him because he has Down syndrome.

It hurts sometimes to see that people look at him different. I know they are just curious. Some of the people who look at him differently are my friends, and some people who have offended the worst me are people who know the most about him. I’m positive that they would look at him, and the world differently if they opened there eyes.

I believe people with disabilities are stronger than you and me. They are stronger in a different way that we may never be able to experience. I think we should look to kids with disabilities to make our lives more meaningful. They are so easy going and have so many more challenges then almost anyone else does naturally. With my experience being around children with disabilities I have learned so much. I have been taught to not be so serious and if you mess up its ok. You can always try again. I have learned to love everyone. My family and I have all learned that there is more to life then sports, dance, college, friends, love, money and clothes.

The truth to life is that everyone is the same at heart. So, the next time you are upset because your parents won’t take you shopping, or you can’t go hang out with your friends; remember there are people with more difficult problems.