I believe in abstinence

Nicoletta - charlotte, North Carolina
Themes: love, morality

Growing up in a strict Greek family, it wasn’t always easy to make decisions for myself. But when I became a teenager, I made a decision that changed my life forever; I decided to remain abstinent.

When I was little, I loved to hear my grandma tell the story about how she and my

Grandfather met. My Grandfather met her at a water fountain in an old Greek village and proposed four days latter. She hadn’t been with any other man until she married my Grandfather and their love has been strong ever since then. They share a special love because they saved themselves for each other. I never understood how important abstinence was then, but I fully understand it now.

Remaining abstinent has taught me many things. For one, it has taught me self respect. I learned to respect my body and my beliefs. I am not degrading myself by being with other men. It relieves me to know that when I marry one day, I will not have to worry or think about love relationships that might have affected me in the past. It thrills me to know that when I marry one day, I will be ready to be fully devoted and committed to that person. Self respect is a major benefit of remaining abstinent. I feel that girls today lack this value. I see the ways girls dress and degrade themselves around the school. We as girls present ourselves in a tasteless matter which tends to attract the opposite sex. It upsets me because, we are so much better than that. We don’t have to sell ourselves short; this does not give us a positive self image. How can we respect other people if we don’t respect ourselves.

To me, being abstinent is a magical experience. It gives me a since of purity because, I have no regrets from my past. I think that if you remain a virgin until you marry, you and your spouse will share a special connection. You will be fully devoted to each other. I see it this way; Would you rather have one true love or a thousand meaningless love relationships.- I believe in abstinence.