Drink the Lemonade, No Matter How Sour

Erin - Charlotte, North Carolina

Do you know what it’s like to have your best friend taken away? Do you know what it’s like for the one other person you can count on turn against you? Believe me, it sucks. What sucks the most, though, is that they got away with it. Justice, in real life – not law – is difficult to find. Especially in the way of karma. People look for the easy way out; they want to trim off the corners and go the most direct route to success. But then you must consider what success is. Is success money? Is it love? Is it having everyone look up to you? Is it happiness? Now, I don’t want to be one of those sad and lonely heartbroken people – I would like to think that I am a little more down-to-earth than that – but there was a period of time in my life, when I thought the loss of these friends was my fault. I wanted life to get justice on these people for hurting me. There was a period in my life, when I was a hypocrite, and as selfish as the people in this world that I distaste. For whatever reason, values that used to mean something in society are becoming obsolete.

Justice, dignity, honesty, integrity, perseverance, determination, pride, respect, humility, self-respect, and all of the qualities that I would like to believe every human has, as implied by the Constitution and the freedom and equality so valued by our country, are changing. Society becomes more and more focused on selfish success, and the acquisition of material goods. People are no longer satisfied on being good, they must be the best. My friend had to be the best, and would turn on me to get there. She relied on me, but only at her discretion. What happens when the people you depended on are no longer there? You turn to yourself; you become a person capable of being independent. I understand now: it takes being knocked down a couple of times to get back on your feet and learn to fight. Life is hard, and you have to work through it, right? And it sucks. It really sucks that we work and work and work to come to the conclusion that we don’t even know what we’re working for. It sucks to think of what we could potentially miss out on. Did I miss out on an important part of my friend’s life? Would we have been better off putting the past behind us and being friends? Or are certain things unforgivable? I honestly don’t know if I would be happier if I was a little stupider and allowed others to manipulate me. But I believe that the person that I am is the person that I was meant to be. Sooner or later, events similar to the ones that ended our friendship would’ve taken place. Things could’ve ended worse. I still see her occasionally, when our circles happen to meet. We always stop and say a friendly hello, reminiscing about a past memory. Life’s too short to dwell over the bad things. You can’t change the past; you can only make the best out of what you have. The commonly quoted cliché, “when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.”