Family Support

Zahiyeh - Casa Grande, Arizona

Without family support, I wouldn’t have come this far in life. People rely on support from their families; knowing they will get positive feedback. In my experiences, I have come to known that without help it can be very stressful for me. In my theory everyone will need help through life, whether it’s a very emotional or difficult time. I believe I’m not alone when I got my family by my side. I believe in family support even if it’s just one or both parents helping you.

At first my dad did not want me to go to college. He told me it would be expensive. That I should just go next year because then he can afford to send me to school. Another issue was that I didn’t have a car to drive to school. He works a lot and doesn’t have time to take me there. Not having a job was another problem he wasn’t happy about. To me I thought all those things were just excuses that my dad had a problem with. Even though he helped my brother go to college, it never seemed fair he wasn’t helping me. I thought I should go since he let my brother go. Hearing him say that made me really mad. I knew that we can figure things out if we took the time to.

My mom wanted me to go to college no matter what my dad said. Looking at my mom she had a serious face on. She thought it was a good idea because I wanted to continue going to school. Her support made me feel good since she was by my side. She told me that she wanted me to get a good education so I can succeed in life. When I was younger she use to tell me that I should follow my dreams. That I should go and do anything that makes me happy and to live life to the fullest. The reason she would tell me that was because she never finished high school. My mom and I were determined to convince my dad to let me go. We were going to do whatever it takes without giving up. I was so amazed how my mom was so encouraging and understanding. I am thankful she was trying to help me do something I wanted to do.

After a couple of weeks we started convincing my dad. I remember me and my mom sitting in the living room talking to my dad about it. We told him that I would find a job to help pay for my classes and books. My brother said he wouldn’t mind taking me to school. I talked to my dad, about how hard I am willing to work to get good grades. I have always wanted to go to college to get an education. Even when all the problems were solved the only thing I was waiting for was my dad to say yes. He still disagreed with me but, we kept pushing him to agreeing with us. To me I never understood what the real reason he kept saying no was. It hurt knowing he did not think I should go to college.

Finally at the end after convincing him for a long time he said yes. Hearing him say that, I was so happy he is letting me go. My heart was beating so fast from the excitement. His face seemed relieved because it was all over with it. I couldn’t believe I have being given an opportunity to go to college. He decided that I should follow my dreams knowing he would support me all the way. Realizing how important it was for me to go and get a great education for myself. With all my family supporting me now, there was no reason for me to not be happy. To get what I wanted; I kept striving for it until it happened.

Losing faith was never an option, especially when times got hard. Giving me the chance to attend college, left my dreams still standing. I always believed that my family wanted the best for me. When I felt like my hopes faded, the support kept them alive. My success would not have been a succession, if it wasn’t for my families support. My family was important to me and without them I don’t know where I would be. In the end I felt as if I have not gone through it all alone. I think anything is possible as long as you don’t give up on it .