A Trite Phrase or Expression

Haley - Richmond, Virginia
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in something that is often misconstrued as being overused and trite. I believe in something that has become so common that we tend to overlook its truth. I believe that though many attempt to avoid it, we should rather embrace it and apply it to our lives. I believe that something so universal can ultimately become something very personal. I believe that despite its brevity; it actually is of great caliber and influence. I believe in clichés.

I believe in living life to the fullest. I believe life is too short. I believe in looking on the Brightside. I believe you only live once. I believe that most of the mountains we have in life are ones we build ourselves. I believe life goes on. I believe in being the life of the party. I believe laughter is the best medicine. I believe each cliché carries a lesson. If I were to identify a shared lesson it would be to always live life. By that I mean to take the bull by its horns or to always strive to take advantage of being alive each day. Life is so unpredictable, so killing yourself now in hopes that the work will guarantee a perfect future is foolish. Right now living in the moment is being a college freshman and always looking to enjoy every moment. College is football and basketball games, goofy friends, an unnecessary amount of laughter, perhaps some awkward moments, and most of all just being immature. It’s about the experiences and stories; experiences and stories that are impossible if abandoned for studying and working. I believe in taking chances and breaking some rules. Denny Duquette, a character in Grey’s Anatomy, says “And the things that I remember best – those are the things I wasn’t supposed to do and I did them anyway. The thing is: life is too damn short to be following these rules.”

Much too often, stories are told of those who wished that they had done things in the past. It is the age-old coulda, woulda, shoulda. To me, it is unfortunate that time and again it is not until some tragic event or fatal diagnosis that many people realize the importance of life. So rather than wait for a reminder of the importance of life, I embrace the advantages of my health, happiness, and life. To live, it is vital to not become caught up in the trifling and irrelevant things in life.

Love to live. Have fun. Be what and who you want to be and do what you want. Life is too short to leave things for the future because before you know it time’s up. So live a little. Take a walk on the wild side. Don’t worry, be happy. Nobody is perfect. Live and learn. Life goes on. Life is what you make it. Live life in the fast lane and say the devil made you do it.