Never Give Up!!!

Candice - Eloy, Arizona

Never Give Up!!!

Did you know that graduating from High School is a very important aspect in your life? Well if you didn’t or don’t here’s a story from my experience. Don’t get me wrong, I graduated and I’m proud of myself. Yes it was a struggle, but if you believe in yourself, and never give up you will succeed. I learned the hard way; it wasn’t pleasant, instead a bit disturbing. However I didn’t have to pass any classes in particular, but I had to pass the AIMS test!

As a sophomore I had to take my AIMS math test. The AIMS test is (Arizona’s Instrument to Measure Standard’s). It provides educators and the public with the value information regarding the process of Arizona’s students towards mastering Arizona’s reading, writing, and mathematics Standards”. You have to take this and, pass it in order to graduate from High School in Arizona, and as well as the High School I attended. When I received my results it determined that I did not pass my math. I didn’t pass because I wasn’t doing what I should have been during my freshman year. I played around my freshman year. (For example: When we had work to do I would blow it off or, do it at the last minute. I hardly paid attention because I didn’t feel like it or, because me and, my friends were talking and, I felt like that was more important. (Which was so dumb)?

I thought well I’m only a sophomore in High School what’s the worst that can happen. Then, junior year came around, and I took the test again, but I still didn’t pass. I was thinking why is this happening to me? I couldn’t believe I didn’t pass again! My mom was disappointed in me because I wasn’t passing, and I knew I should have been. So she made go tutoring, and I had to get help from others students. I didn’t want to. I did anyway but, only for a little while. I eventually quit going (which was one of the DUMBEST things I could ever had done).

Now I was a senior in High School and, I still had to take my AIMS math test. I couldn’t believe I was doing it all over again for the 3rd time. It sucked but I guess that’s what I deserved. I was put into an AIMS math class where I had to practice for the test and, I would get graded for it. I didn’t like it at first but, I started to apply myself. It got easier and easier every time. I started praying and having a lot more faith in God, and that’s when things started to change for me. My teacher and my mom were proud to see me changing. If it weren’t for my mom and God I would never had done it!!!

On the day of May 19th 2008 the results arrived. I was so nervous to reveal them to anybody including myself. Seeing that envelope, and opening it was the most exciting, but scariest thing I could have ever done. I felt warmth all through my hands when I held it. It could fell that I had passed, and when I opened it guess what? I did. It was such a blessing to know that I did pass! I cried tears of joy, and despair. It felt like everything was falling in to place. I had graduated, and if it weren’t for me settling down, my mom pushing me, all her love, and God then it would never