Ride the Sky

Vince - Coolidge, Arizona

Ride The Sky

I’m not a junkie, a drug dealer, or an alcoholic. I’m not in a deep depression and just want to shoo everybody away. I still smile and laugh almost every day. So what if we left after he had raised me since I was two. He made the mistake not me, life goes on. If it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t have found my one love in this world at the moment. It’s not a girl, just a piece wood with four wheels under it. This I believe that skateboarding saved me.

It was July eighteenth about seven at night. I remember the exact day because it had been only nine days after my eighteenth birthday. My window was open and for some reason I felt a breeze brush against my face as I got up to hear what they were arguing about this time. The door was shut but the shouting was so loud and clear they might as well had been right in front of me. It was about fifteen minutes until I heard a loud smack then my mom shout out. I hopped up again off my bed out of my room and into theirs in one whole motion. I flung their door open and I saw my mother on the floor holding her mouth. I broke his nose and only his nose because mom had jumped on my back trying to stop me from hitting him. “Stop Vince stop”, was all she kept yelling. She called my grandma to come pick me up. I was going to stay be staying there now until we moved out.

My brother has been skating for about two years now. He had always been trying to get me on a board ever since he started. It was two days after what happened at my house when I finally agreed to go with him to our local skate park. There was nobody there, kind of figured there wouldn’t be considering the fact it was seven in the morning. I could hear birds chirping and could smell the watered down dirt that surrounds the park. My little brother had just done a trick down some stairs when he walks back up them and pushes his board my way. “Try it”, he told me. “Neh I like being in one piece thanks”, I replied. He left it there and said, “Its easy stop being a girl”. “Put one foot on and push with your other”, were his exact instructions. Just to shut him up I tried and as fast as I had gotten on was as fast as I fallen off. I swear he could’ve died of laughing so hard at that very moment. I looked up from my back at the clear blue sky and have no idea why but I couldn’t help but laugh too. It was at that moment I knew I could do this I just had to back up and keep trying. I can’t remember how many times I fell that day.

I bought my own board and skated in my free time. My mom and stepdad were getting a divorce, going to court, and all the other stuff that goes with it.Yeah it was hard and it hurt seeing them both fighting still. When I’m skating there’s not a bad thought that can go through my head. The smooth sound of new bearings or the feeling you get after hearing that wood scrape against a metal rail and your still on your board after it’s over and ride out. The swearing and the shouting because you’ve been trying this trick all day and you just can’t seem to get it. I love skating and everything that goes with it. No coaches, no rules, nobody to tell you what’s right or wrong. Skating takes me away from all my problems. It’s my one and only sweet serenity.

There are plenty of times when my friends will tell me, “Let’s go to this party there’s a bunch of girls and beer man”.”Let’s go get messed up man”, sometimes it’s real tempting too. Then, I remember that night in July and what happened. My stepdad was drunk when he hit my mom. I’ll tell them no thanks maybe next time. Instead I go skate just because it seems like way more fun to me then getting drunk. Skateboarding really did save me; I honestly don’t know where I’d be without it.