I believe Family Role is Importance

Jennifer - Litchfield Park, Arizona
Themes: family, setbacks

Have you ever doubted family importance? When, I broke my arm in 2004, I was in the hospital for three days. My family stuck by my side those three days like they had no life and it was just about me. They did this because I needed them there to help me recover. Ever since I was in the hospital, I have believed that family role is very important.

When I first arrived at the hospital, my grandparents and brother were the first ones with me. They were there with me when my accident happened. They were the first ones to introduce me to family importance. Later on throughout the day my parents and cousins Renee and Xavier showed up to help me recover.

As I was taken to the surgery room, my parents were the only ones that could go in with me. The nurse gave me the medicine to fall asleep and right away it affected me. I don’t remember many things clearly but I do remember one thing my parents told me. They said, “we will be right here when you get out of surgery.” Also, I remember noticing that I was the only patient in the room waiting to have surgery. After waiting around a bit, the nurses came and got me then took me into the surgery room.

As I entered the room, I saw a few things. I remember looking up and seeing the x-rays of my arm on the wall. I then looked down and noticed all the surgery tools that were on a tray on a little table. I was a bit scared but couldn’t do anything about it. I heard the doctors and nurses talking about my arm. I remember everything been so bright. After that I blacked out and next thing I knew I was awake.

The first face I saw when I woke up from surgery was the nurse that was watching me. She said, “I have been waiting for you to wake up.” She then took me to my room where my family was waiting patiently for me.

I wasn’t expecting anything out of my family but write when I entered I smiled. I was so happy to see them and to know that they were there for me. After I got situated in my room, wasting no time, my family started making jokes to make me laugh. It meant a lot to me to have them there with me. My cousin Renee put my little baby cousin on my bed so he could give me some stuff he made me. He had made me some little toys that were made from wax. I know it was something little but it was heart warming and important to me.

I was very exhausted from the medicine I was given and the surgery. My mom started to pretty much tuck me in and make me comfortable. She would fluff my pillow and make sure my arm was elevated. Also, when I got sick from the medicine, my mom was the one that was holding the vomit pan for me. My dad was putting the television on for me and finding something I wanted to watch. My brother on the other hand was there to make me laugh. He would say things to take my mind off the pain. I knew that instant how important it was for our family to be there for each other physically and mentally.

Families have many important roles to play for each other. When my family took on the role of being there for me and taking care of me, it really meant the world to me. They provided me with many things about family importance. I have learned and taken everything in from that day to carry on in my life. They are the reasons why I believe in family importance so much.