The Gift of Love

Josh - Muncie, Indiana
Themes: love

A quote from Leo Buscaglia reads, “Love is life. And if you miss love, you miss life.” I feel I understand love and have found it. As a young adult, some people may say that I don’t understand love and am just infatuated. Many tie the ability to distinguish love and infatuation with age, which I believe is a misconception. The ability to distinguish this emotion from that feeling is not tied with age, but rather with maturity.

As a child, I was involved in a car accident. As I grasped the window and the seat to brace myself, the car flipped. When the side of the car hit the pavement, it severed all four of my fingers as well as smashing my thumb beyond repair. This event in my life faced me with some difficult issues physically and emotionally. I have tried to deal with each issue as it comes in a positive and mature manner. The hardest issue I had to overcome was being accepted and loved.

In my teens, the thought that overwhelmed my mind was “who would possibly get passed my difference and take the chance to know and love me for me?” Luckily, my freshman year of high school, that thought was answered…partly. I found myself in a relationship with a girl that understood me. She felt the feelings I felt when I was put down or made fun of. I rushed into the relationship only for that reason. The reality was that I “loved” this person only because I needed that comfort. As much as I wanted and thought there was love in that relationship, it was just a relationship that blossomed into three years of infatuation. Despite all this, the relationship showed me that some people didn’t care as much about my physical qualities as they did my emotional qualities.

I had a friend that was there through everything, my safe haven. We helped each other with every problem imaginable and knew how to cheer each other up. I started turning to my friend more as the relationship gradually went south. When that relationship ended it took me a good while to get over that relationship, but my friend was always there to lend a helping hand. One day my friend told me how she truly felt about me and we began dating. The feelings were just there, because through all my bad times that we had talked, I never realize how much we new each other.

I feel the events in my life happened so that I would realize that love is a gift that should never be wasted. I need this person because I love them. “Where there is love there is life.” is a quote form Mohandas Ghandi that perfectly illustrates my belief. When I didn’t realize love was before me, my life seemed pointless to me. Once I realized that love was before me, life became priceless.