Never Giving Up

william - phoenix, Az, 85041, Arizona

Never Giving Up

I had a problem with my heart; I thought my life was coming to an end. The problem with my heart wasn’t that serious, to where I thought I was going to pass out and die, but it did have something I love to do. What would you do, if you couldn’t do something you love to do?

Growing up I have always been a pretty healthy kid. I stayed active; my mother never had to make me get out the house because I was always wrapped up into some type of physical activity. My favorite sport was football, and it was my favorite thing to do. I had been playing little league football since the third grade. Football is a major thing in my family, just about every woman in my family who has a son will be playing football. My dream like every other little kid at the time was to make it to the NFL, NBA or Olympics.

It was summer time and seventh grade was about to start. When the summer comes that means little league football is right behind it. In order to play football you must have physical, a physical is when you go see a doctor and get a check up to see if whether your body is in good enough condition to play the sport. I remember waking up for my doctor appointment I wasn’t really looking forward to the appointment, because I don’t like doctors. I just don’t like being in the presence of a doctor office, maybe because every time I go they try to poke a needle in my arm.

Even though I didn’t like doctors I still would look pass all that and go get my physical. But it was something different this time; it was like I could feel something was going to go wrong during the Physical. The doctor greeted me with a smile, I walk in the room and sat on the bed. He went through his routine check up, but when he got to my heart he kept moving his stethoscope back and forth listening to the beat of my heart. I started sweating, I was wondering why this doctor was taking so long listening to my heart beat, I get sports physical every year and the doctor never took this long before.

Well after the physical the doctor called my mother in the room, and I could tell right away that it was going to be bad news. The doctor told my mother that he advises her not to let me play football, because I have an abnormal heart beat. It takes a lot for me to cry but at that time I felt like a little girl, those tears began to roll down that cheek and I couldn’t do anything to stop them. I believe it were tears of anger; I felt that the doctor was the devil in disguise. And my mother’s instinct began to kick in right away; she started agreeing with the doctor before he could even finish his little speech on why I shouldn’t play football.

I must have begged my mother everyday for about four weeks to let me play football. But all my attempts were a failure. I miss my seventh and eighth grade year because out of fear for my health, my mother wouldn’t let me play. But now high school was here, I wanted to play football and after two years of begging my mother finally gave in. I had to take my physical again in order to play my freshmen year. I was past the point of being nervous, I walk up in the doctor office and it was like round 2 “The Doctor vs. Carr.”

I have love sports all my life. Now because of a skip beat in my heart, I was going to have to stop doing what I love to do. But I wasn’t going to give up that easy I beg my mother for two years straight every day, I even did all the stuff I hated doing like chores, yard work, and home work. Now I’m sitting here in the doctor office again, I sat on the bed and the doctor did his normal routine. But when he got to my heart to listen to the beat, he look up at me and said “It looks like our little miss beat is gone.” I was shock at first it didn’t really hit me until I walk out the office, that I was cleared to play sports this year.

When people hear that they have any type of problem concerning their heart, most would tremble in fear. I could have given up all hope, and just accepted the fact that I could enjoy sports still but just as a spectator view. I wasn’t gone except that especially after all the sucking up and begging I have done. I never gave up hope I always believe that I was going to be in college playing some type of sport, and here I am now doing it.

If you really loved something, and you felt it slipping away from you, you should fight for it. Because why wouldn’t you fight something that means so much to you. Some may say it’s just a game, but to me it’s more than just a game. I was brought up around a family of athletes, so sports are a huge part of my life. If you couldn’t do what you love to do, would you give up all hope and accept that for what it is?