A Belief to Learn

Brittany - Pleasant Hill, Iowa

“Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday,” said western actor John Wayne. Like him, I believe that people will always make mistakes and that’s inevitable, but in return we should take something away from such regrettable moments.

I’ve had my fair share of bad decisions and some even incredibly life changing. My freshman year in high school I wasn’t yet able to drive and hated riding the bus, so I would think up any way possible to get a ride home from anyone without letting my parents know. One day I found my neighbor, Nguyen, who was a year older than me. He had his license so a couple friends and I asked him for a ride home. After an easy round of begging, he agreed and the four of us squished into his tiny Mitsubishi Eclipse. We were off on our way, Nguyen driving, my friends dancing, and me getting nervous as he sped past four cars in a row. Soon after, the scariest moment of my life that I would never forget occurred. I saw the huge curve and us flying into the road sign, because we hadn’t turned in time. I shut my eyes in fear of dying and I remember being flown around the car, remembering that I had forgotten to put my seat belt on. I opened my eyes many seconds later and became aware that we were upside down in a huge ditch, stuck in this tiny car. My head had knocked into the window hard enough to break it and I had a huge headache, not to mention that my friend had landed on top of me. But that was the least of all worries.

That night, as I visited my best friend in the hospital, who had been taken by ambulance, I thought about how easily I had given her the front seat through I was supposed to have it. It was supposed to be me there lying in that hospital bed, sedated, with that neck brace on. There are no words to explain how I felt seeing her that way. I just stared at her. She was cut up and hurt and I just wanted to fix her, but I couldn’t. That day, I had made the wrong decision to undermine a lot of people, including the two people who cared the most about me. From that day forward, I decided to think twice before I make decisions, especially when it’s breaking a rule that’s there to keep me safe.

Almost everyone had made wrong decisions that I’m sure have lead them to unlucky situations, but I’m also sure that most learn from those situations. I must make mistakes in life, so then in return I may learn from them. Without mistakes, I would not have experiences to mature from. I believe that “tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.”