Live LIfe With No Regrets, Always give 100%

Payton - Pleasant Hill, Iowa

Have you ever looked back on something and wished you could have changed the outcome? Almost everyone has, this is why I believe in living life with no regrets, always giving 100 percent.

In football the coaches will always say, “Leave it all on the field, if it comes time where the game is over and you feel you didn’t do your best, that’s the worst feeling in the world.”

Coach Zelinovich once quoted Aristotle in saying, “Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.” I don’t think this could be said any better, we are what we repeatedly do. Something like excellence requires heart, perseverance, and the will to do whatever it takes to become the best.

Some of the guys have to go through their whole psych up routine, or listen to hardcore music. Well I like to do these things to but, I prefer sitting by myself for awhile, having time to think about things. They can’t just step onto a field and be motivated to compete like I can. It wasn’t an easy thing to achieve, it took many years of watching and learning about what heart truly is and what it takes to be not the healthiest or the strongest, but the one with the biggest heart.

I had a friend whom I looked up to a great deal; he was one of my idols growing up in high school. He had some trouble staying healthy his senior year and it could show,

he was battling an injury that required surgery and would mean he probably would not get to play for the rest of the season, or so they said. I remember that day we were standing there as he stepped out the door in full pads, with a few weeks left in the season. I remember all the pain he had gone through and what he had dealt with to be able to do this.

That’s the heart I try and show in everything I do, because I know that he would have done anything for his team, whether it meant fighting through the worst pain in his life on or off the field, or just being there to lead them when he was less fortunate than the guys who could suit up on Friday nights.

Now that he is gone, his motivation still lives within me, I find myself pushing harder and harder in everything I do, almost to the point where I have broken down because of how much it hurts mentally or physically. It takes pushing through all of the pain, because of the things he taught me, giving up, just isn’t one of them.