Who are you?

Daniel - Muncie, Indiana

I believe in expressing yourself. Everyone should be able to be who they are, not who people want them to be. Schools for example won’t let students dress certain ways, even if it isn’t inappropriate. Just because someone doesn’t like it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be able to wear it. I mean seriously, I don’t like the way some people dress or express themselves, but you know what? That is what they want to do to show who they are; let the inside come out.

At my high school we had to wear collared shirts, and pants with belt loops. Everyone was always so uptight, and strict. School is supposed to be a “comfortable learning environment” according to school administrators. I think not, I don’t think one person was comfortable in that high school, not one person could show who they were. “Your hair is too bright, I don’t like it, you need to change it before you come to school tomorrow.” You should be able to have whatever hair color you want to have, and be able to express it anywhere. I like to dress in a very preppy, comfortable sort of way. I have holes in some of my jeans; I wear nice sweatshirts, and very comfortable shoes. You know what? Those stuck up administrators would yell at me ALL THE TIME for having a tiny little hole in my jeans, “You’re showing too much skin! Go to the office and go change!” This is what I had to do, go to the office, get a note, and go home to change. I didn’t just go home and change, I would take my sweet old time and grab some lunch, and then decide if I really wanted to go back to school or not. I mean, seriously, why would I want to go back to a building full of rules that won’t allow me to be myself?

Other ways of expressing is your choice of body art, or music; actually, everything can be used to express yourself. The way your room is decorated, the car you have, the places you go to eat. Everything you do is something that expresses who you are.

Recently I have started college to pursue a dream of mine since I was about 4 years old. I wanted to become a musician, and play an orchestral instrument. I wanted to be a famous musician, that everyone knew, and that everyone wanted to go see play with, or in, an orchestra. Well, now I am here, in college, pursuing my life-long dream to be a musician. I never realized it before, but I already am a musician, I have already played in professional orchestras, and recently I have auditioned for a professional orchestra and made it in. I am only a 3rd week freshman, and I have been beating upperclassmen left and right. “You know why?” Because I have been able to express myself as a musician. Maybe I couldn’t express myself as a person throughout high school, but music has always been my way of expressing myself. Whether I am expressing my anger, or my sadness, music has always been there for me. I may be some sort of prodigy, but because I believed in myself, and in expressing myself through something that I love, it got me far.

Once you get out into the real world, like college, or even out of college, if your university is strict, you can do pretty much whatever you want or need to do to show who you are. Now that I am in college I feel more relaxed, less stressed, and more at ease with who I am.

Whatever your situation is, there is always a way to express yourself. It doesn’t matter how you will be judged, or by whom you will be judged by. Always be yourself, believe in your own way of expression, be who you are, not who others want you to be.